Monday, May 16, 2011

I'm a beekeeper.

Yep. Got the permit, even, to prove it.

Thursday while Kiddo was in school, I made the final preparations for our beekeeping project. I made sure our 2 hives were set up and ready to go. Then I did what I thought might be my last barefoot walk through the overgrown yard. I suspected it would be crawling with stingers in no time.




After school, Kiddo and I skipped (for the firs time ever) our monthly Kids For Peace meeting. We travelled about an hour to Parson's Gold Apiary.





Because we were all geeked up and couldn't wait, we arrived about a half hour before our appointment. There, we met Bob Parsons who was in the middle of his appointment with another lady who was just beginning beekeeping. We were welcomed into the garage and invited to listen in. Surrounding us were stacks of bee packages.


I lost all track of time as we talked and listened to Bob, one of the most personable and informative people I have had the pleasure to meet. Then, we put about 36,000 worker bees along with their 2 queens into our car and drove an hour home.

That's two 4-pound packages of bees.

1 comment: